Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, July 1, 2012

Get Me to the Church On Time

     I went to church today.  For many people, that wouldn't be a strange statement.  But for me, Jewish by upbringing, and not an active practitioner of any organized religion, it was certainly different.  The reason I went was to support Ben as he gave a talk to the Covenant Presbyterian Church in Cinnaminson, NJ.  
     The pastor of the church, Joel, is a friend of mine with whom I often play golf.  Throughout this past year, we often talked of Ben's overseas mission trip, and I told him that I was sure Ben would love to speak at his church upon his return.  I had Ben connect with Joel and they arranged for this morning to be the day.
     Showing some of the pictures from his trip, Ben did a great job sharing with the congregation his reasons for going as well as the most important lessons he learned during he year abroad.  His talk was clearly well-received as evidenced by the many compliments we heard afterwards.
     For my part, it candidly continues to be a bit weird for me to hear Ben talk of a faith that's so foreign from my (and his) upbringing.  Nevertheless, I support him 100% in pursuing his own passions, wherever they may be.  Going to church today was a sign of that support.

No comments:

Post a Comment