Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Another Father's Day Donation

     Those who've been reading my blog regularly may remember that for Father's Day, my son Ben gave me a gift card for the organization JustGive.org.  This organization serves as somewhat of a clearinghouse to marshall funds to literally thousands of different non-profits throughout the world.  I redeem the gift card by designating all or a portion of the card to be applied to any non-profit(s) that I choose.  Last month, I used half of the gift card amount to make a contribution to the amazing organization that helps support the homeless through running programs - BackOnMyFeet.org.  Tonight, I decided to use the remainder of that gift card.
     This time I chose as my recipient, Literacy Volunteers of Burlington County. It's hard for most of us to imagine (myself certainly included) what it would be like not to be able to read.  Almost every thing we do involves some degree of reading.  I admire those who devote their time to helping to teach others to read, as the impact they can have on changing lives is direct and significant.  It's an area I'd like to look into more to explore how I could become a teacher. In the meantime, though, I at least have made a donation to help them do their important work.

No comments:

Post a Comment