Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Never Too Much Peanut Butter

     Today was my day to send a care package to my adopted soldier in Afghanistan.  You may remember that in "adopting" him, I committed to sending a care package at least once each month.  Whenever I ask him what he'd like, he reminds me that he could "never have too much peanut butter."  So peanut butter (and a  few other things) it is!
     I went to the store yesterday to pick up various items for the care package.  I bought more peanut butter, some granola bars, a box of Twix candy bars, a large container of powdered lemonade mix, and a few other snacks.  This morning I packed it all into a box, enclosed a note, and headed to the post office to ship it out.  Amazingly, the packages usually seem to arrive at his base within a week, so he should have it by early next week.
     As I was getting ready to send it off, I was thinking about how cool this "adopt a soldier" program is.  It's been six months now that we've been corresponding and I feel like we've become good friends, even though we've never met and were randomly matched as pen pals.  I've invited him to visit and go to an Eagles' game with me this fall when his deployment is over (just under 90 days to go!).  He's a great young man totally dedicated to serving others. 
     I know it means a lot of our soldiers serving overseas when they hear from people at home, and when they know that we support their efforts.  If anyone is interested in adopting your own soldier, I'd encourage you to check out the Soldiers' Angels website.

No comments:

Post a Comment