Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Making Connections

     I received an e-mail recently from someone who I met at a non-profit function.  In his message he mentioned that he had read my book and had gotten so much value from it that he couldn't put it down.  He wanted to know if he could use some of the material in his company, and also wanted to know if I would meet with him for breakfast or lunch one day.  Whenever possible, I try to oblige these requests and this morning we had breakfast together.
     Though we didn't have any particular agenda, it was good to share each other's "stories" and to find points of common interest.  As I learned more about his career situation, I offered to make some connections for him.  Though I'm temporarily stymied due to some people's vacations, I've already begun the process of arranging the introductions I promised.  
     "Networking" is such an interesting process.  It relies on each person's willingness to do for others without any specific expectation of payback.  However, if we each do as much to help others as we can, in a circular kind of way, it all comes right back to us.  At least that's how I see networking.  In that spirit, it was my pleasure to meet with this person and to do whatever I can to help him.

No comments:

Post a Comment