Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, July 20, 2012

Flowers on a Gloomy Day

     Today was one of those cloudy, rainy, gloomy days where the sun seems like a foreign concept.  While we sure needed the rain, sunny days are a lot more fun.  Since it's been quite a while since I last delivered flowers to anyone, I figured today would be a good day for that.
     After I completed everything I needed to do today, I swung by Wegmans to pick up a colorful bouquet of mixed flowers.  While I've sometimes given them directly to a stranger, today I decided to brighten the day of someone in a nursing home.  Right near my house is a home that caters specifically to patients with Alzheimer's and/or Dementia.  
   Carrying the flowers, I walked into the home and approached the receptionist, a woman named Jill.  I explained to her that I wanted the flowers to go to one of their patients who could use some  good cheer on a day like today, and that I'd leave it to her to choose the recipient.  She was surprised and pleased, and after accepting the flowers, said that she'd let the nurses choose the right person.  I simply thanked her and left.
     I'm guessing that Jill probably thought this was a pretty strange event as I didn't even leave my name or anything.  In some ways, gestures like these can be really rewarding in their simplicity and their anonymity.  Someone is going to get a nice surprise, they'll never know who provided it, and I'll never know exactly what happened or how it affected them.  But I do know that the world is just a little nicer for that person today than it was yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment