Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Smiling Face

     Today I was traveling to Chicago and so had many opportunities to make a difference for people I encountered.  I decided that I would look for every chance I could to make eye contact with people and see if I could make them smile.  This is an interesting experiment to do.  
     Some people seem naturally happy and cheerful and smile quite easily.  Others, like one particular TSA person I saw, seem determined to look bored and glum.  As I approached this one person, I looked her in the eye, smiled, and asked how she was.  She lifted her eyes toward me and did give a slight grin.  It's fascinating to see that the very demeanor with which we approach others can actually change how they respond to us, and quite possibly, how they subsequently respond to others.  It gets me thinking about the widespread impact that more smiling could have on the world.  An interesting thought . . . and by the way, smiling is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment