Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, June 30, 2012

Young Entrepreneurs

     One of the sure signs of summer is the occasional children's lemonade stand set up on a neighborhood street corner.  In the past, I typically only stopped at these if it was convenient and/or I was thirsty.  However, it occurs to me that I if they're going to set themselves up to work on a hot summer day, I should always make a point of rewarding their efforts with a purchase.  Today I was able to make good on a version of that commitment.
     As I stopped on Main Street in Moorestown this afternoon, I saw a group of four young girls sitting at a table in front of one of the stores.  Their table was filled with various baked goods from cookies to cupcakes to brownies to even popcorn.  The sign at their table announced that all the money raised would go to the Susan B. Komen Foundation for breast cancer research.  How could I pass that one up?  So I bought myself some chocolate chip cookies and complimented them on their work.  And then I asked them if it would be OK to take their picture.  They were all smiles and clearly appreciated the attention.
     It's nice to see young kids being industrious, whether it's to make money for themselves or to raise money for a cause.  Either way, they're learning the valuable relationship between effort and reward.  I'm glad to be a part of that lesson.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment