Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, July 27, 2012

Taking the Call

     Yesterday, someone asked me if I would be willing to take a phone call from a young friend of his looking for some career insight and advice.  To be perfectly candid, I wasn't sure I had anything to offer and really didn't particularly want to do the call.  However, I realized it wasn't a big request and that, beyond wanting to protect my time and make more intentional choices about where I apply my assistance, I didn't have any particularly good reason to say no.  The call was scheduled for this afternoon.
     As we began the conversation, I really wasn't clear on what the young man was looking for.  The more we talked though, the more I was able to provide him with some insight, perspective, and direction.  He commented several times how refreshing it was to talk with me as I was able to give him an appreciably different and useful point of view in comparison to the standard things he heard from so many others.  It only took 45 minutes of my time, and I believe it made a world of difference to him.
     This was yet another reminder to me of the importance of being willing to share as freely as possible, even when it doesn't feel convenient.  Who knows how that conversation may change the course of a young person's career?  And yet, I really wanted to skip it for mostly selfish reasons.  

No comments:

Post a Comment