Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, June 1, 2012

Time for a Care Package

     It had been a little over a month since I last sent a care package to my adopted soldier in Afghanistan so I figured today would be a good day to put one together.  When we exchanged e-mails last week I had asked him if there was anything in particular he wanted.  Peanut butter was his main request!
     Taking a trip to Target, I bought some peanut butter, some powdered drink mix (one of his requests from last time), some breakfast bars and granola bars, and some trail mix.  I packed them all in a box, enclosed a personal note, and got them to the post office before they closed for the evening.  If it works like last time, he should get them sometime next week.
     In his last e-mail, he included some pictures from his recent leave when he got to be back home with his fiancĂ© and his family.  It was pretty cool to finally get to put a face with a name.  His notes also make it pretty clear that, as I had been told, getting mail from home is a really big deal and means an awful lot to our soldiers.  It's a pretty easy thing we can do to show them our support.

No comments:

Post a Comment