Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, June 11, 2012

Anonymous Gift Card

     Today I pulled out one of my old "tricks" - sending an anonymous gift card to a stranger, with a "pay it forward" note.  Here's what I did:
     I chose a random address in a nearby town and wrote out an envelope to it.  Then I took one of my Dunkin' Donuts gift cards and put it in the envelope along with a typed note.  The note said, "Please enjoy this gift from an anonymous stranger wanting to bring a smile to your face.  What can you do today to make someone else's day just a little bit brighter?"  Then I mailed it off.
     As usual with these types of anonymous gestures, I wish I could be a fly on the wall as the recipient opens the mail.  I'd love to know what goes through their mind, if they try to figure out who might have sent it, and most importantly, if they do, in fact, pay it forward by doing something nice for another person.  I sure hope so, though of course, I'll likely never know.  Either way, I at least spread some good cheer today.

No comments:

Post a Comment