Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sending Prayers

     A couple of weeks ago, a high school senior from my town was in a very serious car accident.  As a result, she and her family were unable to participate in the joy of graduation and the traditional events surrounding it.  Moreover, those events are likely far from the family's mind as the young woman is still hospitalized and apparently fighting for her life.  Several times lately I've seen Facebook messages from friends asking that people pray for her and her family.  Situations like these tug at my heart as I try to imagine, as a parent, how devastating this must be.  At the same time, not being particularly religious, the calls for prayers don't usually move me to action.  Tonight I decided to change that.
     I don't intend to offer up any theological or spiritual beliefs here, and I honestly don't profess to know much about the power of prayer, but I do somehow suspect that there is some power in collective consciousness.  It certainly can't hurt and can only help, so I took some time this evening to sit quietly and really concentrate my thoughts on the family and send out my love and positive thoughts to them in the hopes that things will take a turn for the better.  I hope that my thoughts are added to those of the many others who are also, in their own way, praying for this family.  
     As I write this post, I realize what a sensitive topic it can be as many people have particularly strong beliefs about God, religion, prayer, and spirituality.  It's  a place I don't really want to go in this blog.  And while I don't usually use this blog as a place to advocate for any particular position or suggest specific actions for others, I do want to make an exception tonight and at least ask that my readers consider supporting this family in crisis in whatever way is appropriate for your own system of beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment