Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, June 21, 2012

Letter-writing Day

     Today was my day to send another letter to my adopted soldier in Afghanistan.  It's been a busy time for me and my family and so I had lots to tell him about.  And how about this small world story:  it seems that a close friend of my soldier from his high school in Kentucky happens to be someone who was on my son Ben's trip around the world; in fact, Ben and this young woman were good friends!  What are the chances of that?!
     I've come to really enjoy writing to him, and I particularly look forward to his responses.  I know it means a lot for him to get mail (e-mail as well as physical mail) from home.  It's actually a fascinating process to get to know someone only through the mail - never having met them before.  I so much look forward to meeting him in person later this fall when his tour of duty is officially over.  He is truly a believer in serving others and he's a remarkable young man.  I hear so many people lament that the "younger generation" lacks a sense of purpose or conviction.  However, I see many young people, my soldier friend being just one of them, who are devoted to making the world a better place.  Perhaps we see what we're looking for.  I'm looking for good and see it all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment