Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, June 23, 2012

Surprising the Teller

     I needed to swing by the bank this afternoon to cash a couple of checks, so I figured it might be fun to surprise the teller with a gift card.  Taking out one of my Starbucks cards, I stuck a post-it note on it and wrote, "Enjoy this gift card and be sure to do something nice for someone else today."  Then I put the card together with the checks and headed for the bank.
     Pulling up to the drive-through window, I placed the checks and the gift card/note into the retracting arm (is that what you call it??) and waited to see what would happen when the teller read the note.  I was hoping there wouldn't be some kind of bank regulations that prevented her from accepting gifts.  It took her a moment or two to read it, and then she broke into a huge smile and gave me a "thumbs up."  She said she was going to share it with the teller who was sitting to her left.  Then she chuckled and said that when the other teller saw I had written a note, she was scared they were going to be held up and robbed!  I hadn't thought of that potential reaction!
     It was nice to make them smile and make their day more memorable.  And hopefully, they'll take me up on the "pay it forward" opportunity and they'll spread some cheer to someone else today as well.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment