Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, June 17, 2012

Giving for Father's Day

     This Father's Day, I received a great gift from my son, Ben.  It was a gift card from the organization JustGive.  If you're unfamiliar with this organization, it's worth going to their website - www.justgive.org.  Basically, they're like a clearinghouse for just about any non-profit you can think of.  On the site, you can search by cause or by location and read all about literally thousands of different non-profit entities; and you can easily make a contribution to whichever ones you find appropriate.  I can "redeem" the gift card I received from Ben by going to the site and designating some or all of my gift card amount to one or more of my chosen charities.  And that's exactly what I did this evening.
     I chose a Philadelphia-based organization called Back On My Feet.  This is an amazing group that "promotes the self-sufficiency of the homeless population by engaging them in running as a means to build confidence, strength, and self-esteem."  Started in Philadelphia in 2007 by a remarkable young woman named Anne Mahlum, the organization is now operating in 9 major cities across the U.S.  What they're doing is truly inspiring.  
     What a great way to use Father's Day to spread even more kindness - from Ben to me to the homeless of Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment