Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Skipping Lunch

     When I set up the rules for my kindness project, I noted that most of the time I wanted to help people directly, rather than simply making a donation to a cause, however worthy it might be.  From time to time, however, I'm OK with a donation, particularly when it's a really cool organization.  I want to tell you about one of those organizations today because it's such a brilliant, but simple, idea.  That organization is called Skip1.  Here's a link to their website.
     Skip1 provides money for food and clean water projects around the world.  The money is donated by thousands of people who decide to "skip 1" thing that they would normally do, and put the money they saved toward these projects instead.  People can skip anything from a meal out to a Starbucks coffee to a round of golf to a pair of shoes or a massage or a haircut or virtually anything else.  Everyone can certainly skip something one time, and that's the beauty of the idea.  You get to choose what's right and appropriate for you, but we all can do it regardless of our circumstances.
     As I was on my way home from a meeting that lasted all morning today, I was hungry and was thinking about stopping somewhere for a bite to eat.  Instead, I decided to "skip" it, eat something we already had at home, and donate the money to help feed others through this organization.  What an easy way to make a difference!
     Over these last few months I've been amazed to learn about a growing network of people and organizations that are spreading kindness and goodwill throughout the world.  While the news so often focuses on all that's wrong, there are so many generous people doing truly remarkable things to make a positive difference.  From time to time I'll share some of those with you, as it's both heartwarming and inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment