Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Continuing Support for Our Troops

     In a recent interview I did, I was asked to identify which act of kindness has been the most fulfilling so far.  This really is a hard question to answer because I've done such a variety of different types of acts for different types of people, each with its own kind of reward.  However, if I had to pick only one, I think it might be the "adopted" soldier I have in Afghanistan.  I say this for several reasons:

  1. I know (from what I've been told) that letters and care packages from home mean the world to our troops overseas.
  2. I get to see/hear/read the impact it has in a firsthand way.
  3. We've created an ongoing relationship vs. a one-time incident.
     Well today was my day to write my regular note to my particular soldier.  I write every single week (sometimes e-mail and sometimes snail mail) and I send a care package once/month.  Since my last letter was sent through the post office, today I sent an e-mail.  It does have the advantage of getting there much faster and often generates a quick response.  My soldier is actually about to be going on leave for two weeks next month and he's excited to be back in the States and with his fiancĂ©.  
     While it's never my intention to use this blog to raise money or push for a particular cause, I will occasionally mention a website or an organization that I think readers may want to check out.  There are a number of different sites that facilitate the process for writing to our soldiers.  The one that I used is called Soldiers' Angels and if you have any interest in this type of thing, I'd encourage you to check it out.  I think you'll find it very rewarding, as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment