Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, April 23, 2012

From Students to Teachers

     Today was the first official day of our cruise as we boarded the ship and moved in to our cabins this afternoon.  We’ve already met lots of friendly and interesting people.  As we sat talking with a nice couple from LA during lunch, the conversation landed on my kindness project.  They were fascinated by what I was doing and commented about how our children can’t help but be influenced by the example we set . . . and this got me thinking.
     I realized that if we’re lucky, we get to experience the amazing transformation of our relationship with our children.  We spend so many years taking care of them, guiding them, teaching them, helping them to develop both the skills and the value system that will enable them to lead independent and successful lives.  And then, one day we realize that they’ve transformed from little children to teenagers to young adults to full-fledged adults.  And in some ways, they become our friends and our teachers. 
     Today I wrote notes to both my children, letting them know how proud I am of them both and how thankful I am to have them as friends and mentors in their own rite.  I’m a pretty lucky father and I wanted them to know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment