Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Meaningful Notes

     The other day I heard the sad news that a friend's father had passed away after an up and down battle with a serious illness.  Today I decided to send my friend a rather lengthy note of sympathy.  In my note, I talked about the things I remembered most about his father and I described my observations about, and respect for, the relationship that the two of them so obviously shared.  They really did appear to have a very special bond.
     I know from experience that heartfelt and sincere hand-written notes can mean so much to people.  I'll sometimes hear a story years later of the impact a note had and how it was saved and cherished by the recipient.  My wife is particularly good at doing these notes and it is quite meaningful for people.
     In contrast, one of my biggest pet peeves is the standard card that's so often sent with no note and sometimes not even a signature.  This habit is on display at its worst during the December holidays.  I'm amazed at the number of cards we get with no note or signature.  It makes me feel like the sender merely crossed off "send out cards" from their "to do" list, almost as if it were an automated process with minimal human intervention.  Many times this takes the form of a family photo, especially of the kids.  To be sure, I'm not against seeing the family. I just want to know that they actually thought about me personally for a moment or two.  Nothing shows this more than a thoughtful, hand-written note.

1 comment:

  1. Hello David,
    First of all, I do agree with your need for a hand-written note in cards. It really is more personable and heartfelt as well. I enjoyed reading the article in the Philly Inquirer today about you and your mission. I think what you are doing is so needed today. It's a fast paced world we live in and I think people have lost the real meaning of life. I am 44 and a mother of 2. I have just gone through an ordeal with breast cancer--chemotherapy included. It has soooo changed my perspective on life and what is important. I have slowed down and become more thoughful of others. I watch others and only wish they had the knowledge of what I've gained in the last 7 months. I knew breast cancer would change me for the better. I've stopped planning for the future and am really living each day to the fullest. I'm not sure what lies ahead of me but know I am going to do great things. I wish you the best on your mission this year. There is no greater high than doing something unexpected for someone else. I have started to do the same.

    ReplyDelete