Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Helping a Shopkeeper

     Well it’s clear that my opportunities for acts of kindness this week will not be easy to spot.  One of the primary reasons for this is that we’re on a cruise where your every need is quickly taken care of by a large, service-oriented staff.  I’ll just have to get a little more creative.  I have some ideas for our day in Rome tomorrow, but for today, I had to settle for a small act of kindness I did in the town of Lucca, Italy.
     We were to take a bicycle tour of Lucca this morning, but the weather was pretty raw – chilly, rainy, and windy.  With nearly everyone in agreement, our tour guide suggested a walking tour of this ancient, walled city, rather than trying to maneuver on bikes.  At one point on our stroll, I was walking past a small shop when I saw the wind blow over the cardboard pieces to an outdoor display.  I immediately began to pick up the pieces and restack the simple arrangement.  Despite the shopkeeper’s initial protestations, I helped him pick up the rest of the pieces so he could get back to his customers.
     It obviously wasn’t that big of a deal but it’s still part of the kindness mindset – always looking for opportunities to help people.  Stay tuned tomorrow for a more interesting story.

1 comment:

  1. You say it wasn't that big of a deal but who really knows? Sometimes the little things we do for others could mean more to the recipient than we will ever know.

    ReplyDelete