Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Staying Consistent

     Today was my day to write to my soldier.  He's actually on leave right now for 2 weeks - back in the states with his family and fiancĂ© - but I believe he's checking e-mail.  When I signed up to "adopt" a soldier through Soldiers' Angels, I committed to writing at least once each week.  It's a commitment I take seriously.  It's important that our servicemen and women know that we care about them and support them and nothing shows that as much as consistency.  
     Since we now know each other much better, it's way easier to have things to write about.  I've also promised him that when he returns home from his deployment in October, I'll fly him to Philadelphia so he can go to an Eagles' game with me.  It will be great to finally get to meet him in person!
     While anonymous acts of kindness definitely have their place, acts like these where a personal connection is made certainly have a different kind of reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment