Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Thinking of You

     This being the season of graduations, I was thinking of someone I know today whose only child is graduating high school this week and will be heading off to college in the fall.  I remember well how I felt when each of our children was graduating.  It's such a happy and sad event.  Happy of course, for all that they've accomplished and for the excitement that lies ahead of them.  Yet sad for the realization that a phase of our family's life is over.  Knowing how these emotions can be magnified when it's an only child, I reached out to this person, with a personal note, to let her know I was thinking of her. 
     I sent another note today to someone I know who recently lost a sibling.  While not wanting to compare a graduation with a death, in some way, I think it helps people to know that others are with them in spirit, sharing their experience with them.  I suppose it's part of what it means to be a community and why humans have always been drawn to community. This year, when I'm thinking of someone and what they may be going through (good or bad), I've tried to actually let them know.

No comments:

Post a Comment