Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Providing A Lift

     This morning I drove a patient to a doctor's appointment as a part of the American Cancer Society's Road to Recovery program.  I've mentioned this program in previous posts and it's rapidly becoming one of my favorite acts of kindness to do.  It's clearly one of those great examples of a kindness that benefits both the giver and the recipient.
     My assignment was to pick up a patient from a nearby town and drive her to her doctor's office.  As is the custom, I called her a few days in advance to introduce myself, give her my cell phone number, and let her know what time I'd be picking her up.  Though I got there a few minutes early this morning, she was ready and waiting for me.  Walking is not easy for her so I helped her to the car and we were off.  As we drove, I learned all about her family, we exchanged stories, and it even turns out that her cousin is a friend of mine from Moorestown.  When we arrived, I helped her inside and she couldn't thank me enough for my assistance.
     I think the reason I enjoy this activity so much is that I can so readily see how much the help means for those in need.  Imagine how challenging it must be to deal with a diagnosis of cancer and then imagine that you have no way of even getting to your doctor appointments or treatments.  This is a truly valuable service.  But the other reason I so enjoy it is that I meet the most interesting people.  They're almost always happy to talk and they have such fascinating things to share.  Definitely one of those "win-wiin" situations.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to start
    "Providing a Lift"! How would I get involved???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Just contact your local American Cancer Society office. If you're in South Jersey, the contact is Cathy Landolt at 856.616.1651 x3106. She coordinates to program.

    ReplyDelete