Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, May 17, 2012

One More Time

     This feels a little light, but hey, the opportunity was there to do it again.  I was coming back through the same toll booth in Atlanta that I talked about yesterday, and figured why not take one more shot at paying for the person behind me.  And that's exactly what I did.  And like yesterday, I watched to see if there would be any reaction from the person.  
     I say this not as a complaint, but rather as an observation:  I was a little surprised that the person made no effort at acknowledgement.  If it were me, I probably would have followed the car ahead of me and flashed my lights or made some other signal of appreciation.  Quite the opposite, it seemed almost as if the car actually slowed down and drifted away in the traffic behind me.  There could be a number of reasons for this, including that they may not have noticed who was in front of them since they weren't expecting it to matter.  
     In any case, it was fun to do it, and to wonder what the person might have been thinking as the toll collector told them their toll (however small it was) had been paid by a stranger.  

No comments:

Post a Comment