Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, May 18, 2012

Gatorade For The Thirsty

     I arrived at the Atlanta airport late this afternoon with plenty of time to make my 7:35 flight home to Philadelphia. After going through security, I went to look for a quiet place in the terminal to relax, catch up on e- mails, and do some reading. As I sat down in an empty gate area, I saw a woman who appeared to be a baggage handler standing by the door taking a "breather." I offered a friendly smile and asked how she was doing, to which she replied, "Fine, but it's hot out there." After exchanging some brief comments about the weather, I had an idea. 
     I picked up my things and walked to the next gate area where they were selling food and drinks. After buying a cold bottle of Gatorade, I went back to the gate and gave it to the baggage handler. "Aren't you sweet?!" she said with a smile. 
     I love doing these kinds of surprises for people. It really makes their day (and mine, too). Of course, I forgot to suggest that she doing something nice for someone else, but hopefully she'll be motivated to do so anyway. I have to get better at remembering that.

No comments:

Post a Comment