Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day - Extended

     When I was writing about Memorial Day yesterday, and I was reflecting on the sacrifices that so many have made to protect our way of life, it occurred to me that, in addition to our military, there are many other people who make similar sacrifices and deserve our appreciation.  High on the list of such people are our police officers and our firefighters.  Today I decided to send a personal thank you note to a longtime member of our local police department.
     It's hard for me to even imagine the difficult job that most police officers have.  Not only do they put their lives on the line each day, but they also make tremendous family sacrifices throughout their careers.  And more often than not, we tend to complain about the police or seize upon stories in the news about police corruption of misdeeds.  Rarely do we hear the real stories of the amazing commitment to their communities that most officers demonstrate on a daily basis.  
     While I could have sent something to the entire department (I did make cookies for them earlier this year), I decided this time to opt for the more personal message that a handwritten note would carry when addressed to a specific individual who I know.  Hopefully it will help him to realize how much his efforts are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment