Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, May 26, 2012

Granting Another Wish

     Over the past months, I've several times mentioned the extraordinary website Wish Upon A Hero.  It's a site that helps to connect people who have needs (small and large) with people who are willing to help them out.  Amazingly, in the 5 years since the site was started, more than 91,000 wishes have been granted.  Tonight, I decided to add to that number.   
     I read on the site about a man whose niece suffers from a serious brain disease.  One of the few pleasant things the niece is able to experience is  being pushed in a stroller around a local lake.  The man is trying to raise money to buy a tandem bike/stroller that will enable the family to more easily take the niece for rides.  It was my pleasure to be one of a number of people making contributions to help the family to be able to purchase this item.
     One of the observations I've had over this year is that most people are inherently kind and want to help each other out.  Taking the time to read the stories posted on websites like wishuponahero.com can renew your faith in the decency and generosity of people.  As we all know, the news is so often focused primarily on sensational stories of bad things happening.  Being constantly bombarded with these stories can cause us to have a jaded, and distorted, view of the world.  I've come across so many amazing people, stories, websites, and movements this year that I'm convinced there's far more good in the world than bad.

1 comment:

  1. "I've come across so many amazing people, stories, websites, and movements this year that I'm convinced there's far more good in the world than bad."

    I agree wholeheartedly!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete