Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, May 7, 2012

Granting a Simple Wish

     I was tied up in meetings almost the entire day today so had little opportunity to deliver one of my typical acts of kindness.  Thankfully, I always have some ideas in my back pocket, like going to one of my favorite sites, Wishuponahero.com.
     As I perused some of the wishes that had been posted, I found a woman who described the "wakeup call" her family had been given about their health.  It seems that the whole family is dealing with high blood pressure and diabetes, and the woman recognizes the need for them to improve their nutrition and to begin to exercise.  She was looking for some input and advice on these topics.
     Having been a lifelong runner, and having helped many people begin and sustain exercise programs over the years, I have many thoughts and ideas on this topic.  I responded to the woman's request by sharing a few ideas and then inviting her to e-mail me for much more detailed suggestions.  Hopefully I'll hear back from her and can offer her more assistance.
     Lest people think that being nice always involves gifts of money, granting this wish is yet another example of ways to be kind that don't cost anything at all.  More than half of my intentional acts of kindness, in fact, do not involve any financial cost, and I try to make it a point to keep a strong mix of types of acts.  There are indeed lots of ways to be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment