Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, March 30, 2012

An Easter Play

     The other day I heard from my cousin that her two daughters were going to be performing in a children's musical, relating the Easter story, at their church this weekend.  As it turns out, my cousin was actually the "director" of the production as well, so it was not to be missed.  My wife and I went to the show's "premier" this evening.
     The children and families had worked hard over the past 5 or 6 weeks to learn their lines, rehearse the music, and build the set.  The show was your usual children's production with the expected mix of kids of varying talent and levels of confidence.  They clearly all enjoyed it and were excited to be showing off for their parents.  I was glad to be there to support my cousins and enjoyed the chance to talk with them after the show.
     It's fascinating to think about all the rituals like these that have been going on for generation after generation.  Whether they're plays or concerts, baseball games or track meets, kids are performing and parents, relatives, and friends are turning out to demonstrate their support.  It's a shame to think of those children who don't have that support that we take so much for granted.  It reminds me that I should be there as often as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment