Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, March 15, 2012

Delivering a Meal

     Regular readers of my blog may remember the post I did back in January (see Neighbors Helping Neighbors) when I wrote about a woman who was tragically killed in a car accident and all the people who had signed up to bring meals to the family.  Though I didn't know the family personally, I felt compelled to help out, so I put my name down for a meal too.  Well, today was my assigned day.
     Knowing I had a busy morning, I prepped some of the meal last night.  When I got home today, I immediately fired up the grill, put on the oven, and got right to work.  I made grilled sesame chicken (it sure smelled good!), rice, salad, watermelon slices, and bread.  And to top it all off, I baked some of my famous chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  
     When I went to deliver the meal, the father of the family was in the driveway so I had the chance to introduce myself and present him with the dinner personally.  He was curious who I was since he had seen the list of people who had committed to dinners, most of whom were friends, family, or neighbors.  When I explained that I was just a "regular" guy who read about his situation and simply wanted to help out, he was all the more appreciative.  
     I've noticed a number of times lately that people don't quite know what to make of someone doing nice things simply for the sake of it - with no personal connection and no specific reward (other than personal satisfaction).  It's as if they're trying to figure out why I would do these things.  For now, I don't worry about any answer.  I just figure the more kindness I can spread, the better, and I leave it at that.

1 comment:

  1. "I've noticed a number of times lately that people don't quite know what to make of someone doing nice things simply for the sake of it - with no personal connection and no specific reward (other than personal satisfaction). It's as if they're trying to figure out why I would do these things. For now, I don't worry about any answer. I just figure the more kindness I can spread, the better, and I leave it at that."

    Sadly, I think this is one of the small things that prevents people from going out of their way from doing more kind things - the unintentional questioning by the recipient.

    Knowing that has helped me to be more open to people helping me. I know that by giving them a sincere thanks and connecting with their gesture, I'm giving something small back to them.

    Cheers!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete