Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"Back" in Business

     I'm thrilled to report that my back is much better today and that I was able to get back out on the street to do my acts of kindness (rather than being relegated to my computer).  It was such a beautiful spring-type day that I had to do something outside, so I did something that had been in my mind for awhile.
     I grabbed a plastic garbage bag, donned a pair of work gloves, and headed over to a local community playground to pick up trash.  To be fair, the area wasn't a total mess, but it's amazing how much miscellaneous garbage is lying on the ground if you're paying attention to it.  I found lots of scraps of paper, candy wrappers, and most disturbingly, plenty of cigarette butts.  Without wanting to be sanctimonious here, cigarette butts are definitely one of my pet peeves.  I just cannot fathom how people can simply toss them on the ground as if they will somehow disappear on their own, or someone else will pick them up for them.  In any case, I picked up lots of them, filled a good portion of a trash bag, and then threw it all away.  
     The playground is a beautiful one, built by community volunteers, and it has many trash and recycle containers all around - so it's hard to imagine why there would be any trash.  But this is one of those places where what I "should" or "shouldn't" have to do is truly irrelevant.  You simply do what needs to be done.  And to be totally honest, it was such a gorgeous day, that I didn't mind at all.  It was just a pleasure to be out and to see so many families enjoying such innocent play.

No comments:

Post a Comment