Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, February 13, 2012

Thinking Abundance

     As many people know, last year I published my first book, Fundamentally Different, based on the lessons I learned and taught during my business leadership career.  It represents my best thinking and writing on building a high performance organizational culture . . . but it's much more than that.  It's also a book about living a life based upon a set of governing values.  It's been my pleasure to share the book with so many people and to hear about how much they've enjoyed it and learned from it.
     Today I had the chance to speak with one of the book's recipients and to provide additional insight and advice.  This person actually received my book as a gift from another person.  He was so excited about its applicability to his organization and had already begun to implement some of my ideas.  He was eager to talk with me to learn more.  It was a pleasure to be able to add to his thinking.  He was so appreciative that I would take the time to talk with him, especially when he learned that I was on vacation with my family.  
     I've always been willing to freely share the things that I've learned, without concern for how or if I'll be compensated.  I'm confident that we what give away in our lives somehow always comes back to us.  Generosity has an interesting way of spreading.  I think it's related to having an "abundance" attitude vs. a "scarcity" attitude.  When we approach life from a perspective of scarcity, we hoard things for fear we'll run out.  But when we think from a perspective of abundance, it's easier to give things away because we know there's an unlimited amount of good to be spread.  I choose to think from abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment