Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, February 19, 2012

It Had To Happen

     I knew that sooner or later this would happen.  I spent the better part of the day in bed with a fever and therefore had little opportunity to be among people where I could do an act of kindness.  Fortunately, in times like these I can fall back upon some old standbys that I can do from home.  This one was essentially a repeat of one I did last month, though it's a good one nonetheless.
    I decided to put my gift cards to good use by anonymously sending them to strangers in the mail.  Like before, I typed out a note on a blank sheet of paper that said, "Please enjoy this small gift from an anonymous stranger wishing you a wonderful day!"  Then I added, "What can you do today to make someone else's day just a little bit brighter?"  I made two copies, putting each in a blank envelope, one with a Starbucks gift card and one with a Dunkin' Donuts card.  I picked two random addresses out of the phone book, addressed the envelopes accordingly (with no return address), and put them in the mail.
     This is definitely one of those acts where I wish I could see the face of the recipients as they open up the mail.  Hopefully it brings a smile to their face and prompts them to pay it forward in some way.  I'll probably never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment