Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Kindness of Listening

     Today I was reminded of how kind it can be to simply be a good listener.  I have someone who I've worked with for a number of years and through that relationship we've become friends.  He's had many ups and downs over those years and faced many difficult challenges.  As a friend and supporter, I've played a variety of roles, depending upon what's most needed at any particular time.
     Sometimes, like today, what's needed is simply to listen.  We spent almost 2 hours together and I offered almost no advice, no brilliant suggestions, no pearls of wisdom.  To be sure, there are times when that can be helpful.  This wasn't one of them.  It was a time to allow another person to empty his mind and to talk through all the various issues going on.  I could tell that it was therapeutic for him to have that opportunity, and it was my pleasure to be able to play my part.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment