Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, February 26, 2012

Spreading a Little Cheer

     Today presented a simple chance for a kind gesture.  I needed to fill up my car with gas so I stopped at the gas station in the center of our town.  I prefer to go there whenever possible because the people who work there are actually friendly and they act like they appreciate my business.  I also like to support local businesses as much as I can.  
     After the attendant had completed filling my car (yes, NJ is one of the few states where it's illegal to have self-service?!), I paid him and then gave him one of my Dunkin' Donuts gift cards and told him to enjoy it.  He looked a little surprised, but thanked me cheerfully.
     It wasn't any big deal, but that's the nature of most kind gestures.  It was just a chance to spread a little good cheer on a Sunday evening in February.  Hopefully it made his day just a little bit better.

1 comment:

  1. That small token just offered the equivalent of working a half-hour pumping gas into that fellow's income. Maybe his kids will enjoy an ill-afforded sweet treat tomorrow. The same amount of cash probably just landed in the coffers of OilCoA from your fill-up. I really wonder which expenditure has more direct impact on your neighbors. Perhaps we should all carry extra gift cards for distribution, randomly.

    ReplyDelete