Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, February 6, 2012

Extending Kindness Across the Globe

     As some may know, my son Ben is currently in the 7th month of an 11-month mission trip to 11 different countries. This month he's in Uganda teaching in a small school in a tiny rural village. Beyond Ben's daily display of caring and compassion, today he's invited us to join him in a tremendous opportunity for kindness. Here's a link to his blog post.  I assure you that it's worth taking the time to read it.
     When I read Ben’s blog, I couldn’t help but think that this is what kindness is all about – seeing a distinctly human need and responding to it, wherever it may be.  In this case, Ben not only responded personally, but he also took steps to help spread the kindness in a much more significant way.  After reading what he was doing, it certainly didn’t take long for my wife and I to join with Ben to make a difference for several children. 
     While I definitely don’t want to turn this blog into a vehicle for solicitation, from time to time I will make readers aware of a particular opportunity for kindness (Adopting a Soldier, e.g.) that I think is worth noting.  I’m trusting that you’ll hear it in the spirit in which it’s intended, and respond in whatever way is appropriate for you.  If it makes sense for you, I'd encourage you to consider supporting a child in Uganda and sharing Ben's post with others you think might value the chance to make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. You must be very, very proud of him. So true that genuine kindness is simply responding to a need you see before you.

    Cat

    ReplyDelete