Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, February 20, 2012

Courteous Traveling

     Today was another travel day and another good chance to simply look for opportunities to be courteous and helpful to those around me.  As I've noted before, traveling often includes a certain amount of stress and hassle for most people - from getting through security to struggling with bags to trying to make connections, to all the other logistical challenges that have to be negotiated.  When I just relax about it all and focus on being kind, the stress seems to literally melt away.
     None of my kindnesses were earth-shattering and, in fact, they might more readily be called simply being courteous.  I let someone go in front of me through security.  I was friendly to the TSA person even when they decided to open up my bag for closer screening.  I helped someone get their carryon luggage into the overhead bin.  I let someone go in front of me at the car rental office.  I slowed down to let a car that had started on the wrong road reverse direction and get onto the right road - without honking or cursing or thinking negatively of them . . . after all, it could easily have been me in that situation.
     To be honest, when I think about the times in the past when I've allowed myself to get more annoyed at people and situations when traveling, I'm embarrassed.  It's both stress-producing and unproductive.  It's amazing how a healthy dose of kindness just seems to make everything go more smoothly - like a lubricant in the gears of our daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment