Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Visiting an Old Coach

     I was in the Palm Beach, Florida area working with a client yesterday.  Knowing that I'd be in the region, a couple of weeks ago I reached out to my former college XC and track coach who lives in West Palm Beach and offered to take he and his wife out to dinner.  I've only seen him once or twice in the past 25-30 years, and I know how much he appreciates seeing his former athletes, so I particularly wanted to make the effort.
     I got to his home around 6:30, and after seeing his "monument room" with pictures and mementos of his 50 years of coaching, we all went out to dinner.  After dinner, we hung out at his house for a few hours and enjoyed some of his homemade chocolate pudding.  We shared stories of old times, people we each knew and remembered, as well as stories that were new to each of us.  It was fun to be with him, and I know the visit meant a lot to him.  I'll try to make it happen again the next time I'm in town.
     I continue to be reminded about how much these various relationships do enrich my own life at the same time as they hopefully impact others.  And I'll continue to make that effort to make connections wherever I happen to find myself.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment