Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, January 14, 2013

Advice for Another Friend

     A few nights ago, I wrote about how a friend had reached out to me because her brother had recently written a book and was looking for some guidance on publishing and marketing the book.  Well, believe it or not, I also got a similar e-mail from the husband of a different friend.  And of course, I was happy to oblige this person as well.
     I spent about 40 minutes on the phone this evening explaining what I had learned about the various ways of getting a book published, and the associated advantages and disadvantages of each.  Like most, he was confused by the overwhelming amount of information out there and unsure of what to believe.  I was able to provide him with some clarity about how the field works so that he can move forward on his project with more confidence. 
     As I noted the other night, I often think of these types of acts of kindness mostly as playing my part in the huge, complex, chain of networked people.  Just as I'm willing to share my knowledge, experience, and contacts with this person, others have done the same for me, and still others have done the same for those who helped them.  And that's what networking is really all about.  We each do our part, not knowing how or when or where it comes back to us, but still knowing that it ultimately does in one form or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment