Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Traveling Kindly

     I'm on the road for the next couple of days and am excited for the chance to practice traveling with a totally different mindset and attitude. Today I flew from Philadelphia to Chicago and between parking shuttles, airports, rental car places, and hotels, there was no shortage of opportunities. I'll mention a few small events here and then also comment on my observations about attitude. 
     Being amidst a sea of humanity all trying to navigate their way from some place to another place is fascinating. People struggle with their luggage, with infants, with directions, and even with schedules. It was easy to spot chances to lend a hand. I helped a couple get their things in the overhead storage bin, I helped a woman juggling food, a baby carriage, and her bags. I even got a chance to pay the toll for the car behind me (since I didn't have EZ Pass!). But the biggest thing I noticed was the impact of my attitude. 
     I was determined to take my time, "chill", and radiate kindness. I let people go in front of me. I made eye contact and smiled at everyone. I looked at people's name badges and called them by their name. I even talked to the person sitting next to me despite his long beard, bandanna, and leather motorcycle jacket. He was a really nice guy! 
     It was such a pleasant day with none of the stress and angst I usually associate with traveling. And it was all in my head. None of it had anything to do with circumstances. Fascinating. More tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment