Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, January 19, 2012

CCC's Can Bring Smiles

     Going back to my college days, baking homemade chocolate chip cookies from scratch has been one of my specialties.  In fact, making cookies has even become an expected activity among a certain group of friends whenever we get together.  Since almost everyone loves freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, I figured this would be a great opportunity to combine a favorite pastime with an act of kindness.
     My "target" today was our local post office.  Over the past months, I've personally sent out more than 125 copies of my book, Fundamentally Different, requiring dozens of trips to the post office.  Contrary to our stereotypical image of federal government or municipal employees, everyone there has always been friendly, cheerful, and helpful.  They've come to know me by name and always ask how my book is doing.  So I figured it was time to thank them with some warm cookies.
    I made up a batch of my specialty this afternoon and since I had to mail out another book today anyway, it was a perfect time to bring them the cookies.  Two of my favorite people were at the counter when I came in and they were so pleased to be presented with the still warm cookies.  The cookies even still smelled good and they couldn't wait to dig in and start enjoying them!  It was nice to bring smiles to their faces and to let them know they were appreciated.
     This one was particularly meaningful for me because it wasn't simply giving away something I had bought (not that there is anything wrong with that).  The act of physically making something to give away somehow gave me a greater feeling of investment.  As I baked, I knew the reason I was doing so, and that made it more special and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment