Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, January 14, 2012

Overseas Pen Pal

     Today was my day to write my weekly letter to the soldier that I "adopted" in Afghanistan.  As I sat down to write to him, I noticed how hard it is to have a "one-way" conversation.  Since I haven't yet heard from him (who knows if I even will, and it's too early to have heard anyway), I tried to think of what he might want to hear about. 
     I gave him some sports updates since that tends to be a universal language among guys.  I also told him a little about my week, things happening with my family, and a little about events around the US.  I then asked him a few more questions about things in Afghanistan which hopefully he'll have an opportunity to answer.
     I know from reading the Soldiers' Angels website that, even if I don't hear anything back, receiving mail every week is critically important to the morale of soldiers overseas.  So I'll just trust that these letters have an impact whether I ever know it directly or not.  And later next week, I'll put together and mail off my first care package to him.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment