Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Dozen Good Thoughts

     Over the past few weeks, I've received many e-mails from various people letting me know that they were enjoying reading my stories, and more importantly, that the blog posts were giving them a daily dose of inspiration that was having a positive impact on both their outlook as well as their actions.  Of course I'm thrilled to hear that, and it got me thinking about the role that regular positive messages can have on us.  And that led me to initiate a different type of intentional act of kindness today.  Here's what I did:
     Since the internet is the fast and easy source for just about everything these days, I sat down and Googled "postive quotes" and I began to scan tons of websites dedicated to spreading optimistic, encouraging words.  I took out some index cards and began to write down some of my favorites.  When I had 12 good ones that I especially liked, I put the index cards in my pocket and headed for our local library.
     I had decided that it would be fun (and beneficial) for unsuspecting people to suddenly come across a positive, life-affirming message in a place where they least expected it.  So I strolled through the rows of shelves and randomly placed each of my index cards between books, leaving them jutting out just enough to be noticed when someone is browsing.  I have no idea whether they'll all be discovered within a few days, a few weeks, or a few months; and who knows what people will make of the mysterious cards?!  Hopefully each one will give the discoverer a moment of pause and reflection as they ponder the message on the card they found.  And hopefully it will bring a smile to their face - a smile that positively affects the people and events that make up the rest of their day.

No comments:

Post a Comment