Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, February 7, 2013

Returning Home

     I was returning home today after being away in Arizona (where the weather was considerably nicer than in NJ) while visiting my parents and my sister.  A few interesting things happened along my journey.
     First, I noticed this sign on a counter in the Phoenix airport.  I'm happy to say that it seems as though the kindness "movement" seems to be gaining steam.  I regularly read articles and see news events now highlighting acts of kindness.  A friend sent me a FB message today with a link to another kindness article she read.  And by the way, you can go to Google and set up a Google alert for Random Acts of Kindness.  Google will then send you a link every single day with various articles about acts of kindness happening around the world.  These are great reminders of the impact that each of us can have.
     As I was walking through the jetway, on the way to boarding the plane, I noticed a piece of trash sitting right in the middle of the path.  I also noticed everyone walk right past it, assuming that someone else would pick it up.  I chose to take the extra second to pick it up and deposit it in the garbage.  This is one of those things I likely wouldn't have done a year ago, but I now have an increased awareness of the opportunity.  After all, keeping our surroundings clean isn't someone else's job.  It's all of our jobs.
     When I landed in Philly this afternoon, I retrieved my bags from baggage claim without incident.  They actually came pretty quickly, too.  As has become my custom, I immediately went to the US Air baggage claim office and reported that I had no problems at all and thanked them for the good service.  I left 3 workers with big smiles and happy faces.
     Kindness sure isn't hard to do.  It just takes awareness and intentionality.  I guess that's a lot of what last year taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment