Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, February 17, 2013

Catching Up on a Few Stories

     I've been a little out of the writing habit for the past week, so I'll use this blog post to get caught up on a few recent stories.  
     I was on the road in Detroit for the better part of last week.  While I was waiting for my bags to arrive at the airport there, I noticed two older women who were struggling to maneuver several heavier bags as they came off the carousel.  Seeing the challenge they were having, I offered to get their bags for them and take them over to where they were waiting for their ride.  It only took an extra minute, and it made it far easier for them.  When my bags showed up, as has become my custom, I went into the US Air baggage claim office and let them know that I had no problems and appreciated the good service.  As usual, they were surprised to hear from someone with no complaints, and pleased nonetheless.
     While in Detroit for business, I used the time as an opportunity to connect with two friends, each of whom I enjoyed a dinner with.  The first was a former business colleague who is from Detroit.  The second was a couple who I met more than 20 years ago and hadn't ever had the chance to visit.  It was fabulous to reconnect with these friends.  Not that I needed it, but it was yet another reminder of just how rewarding it is when I reach out and make that effort. In fact, I was just looking at my calendar and noticing that I have gotten together with 12 different friends in various cities (including home) so far this year.
     Throughout my trip, I was particularly mindful to read the name tags people were wearing (TSA, flight attendants, car rental clerks, hotel front desk people, etc.) and to thank people by using their name.  It's such a small thing, but it makes the world a little more personal.
     When I landed back home in Philadelphia, my bags arrived faster than I think I can ever remember.  It was less than 15 minutes from the time my plane landed until my bags were in hand.  For that, I definitely had to go in and thank the people in the baggage claim office!  Who knows, maybe the good vibes I'm creating are impacting my baggage success?!  By the way, I've been thinking about a way to get more people to report good news to the baggage claim office and one of my Detroit friends had a good suggestion.  Stay tuned for more on that story as I try it out . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment