Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, March 14, 2013

Looking for a Restaurant

     I stopped by our local grocery store to pick up a couple of items, and as I got back into my car and prepared to start the engine, I noticed a man in the car next to me had his window rolled down and seemed to be motioning to me.  So I got back out of my car and went to see what he wanted.  It seems he was waiting for his wife to finish her shopping and, since he wasn't from this area, he was looking for a recommendation for a place to have a nice meal.  I asked him a few questions to get a sense for the kind of restaurant he wanted, and then was able to give him a good recommendation and pretty explicit directions for how to get there.
     Isn't it strange that we're so often hesitant to ask a question of a total stranger?  I'm not quite sure why that is, but for some reason, most of us tend to feel uncomfortable approaching a complete stranger.  I was glad that this man apparently had no such discomfort, because it allowed me to be of help, and perhaps at some level, it also allowed me to show that most strangers are more than willing to be plenty helpful, if we only ask.  It was fun for me to help, and he got what he was looking for.  

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!
    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award: http://stateofgrateful.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/thanks-for-the-liebster-award-it-now-goes-to-11-other-bloggers/

    Just copy&paste the logo if you want, and follow the rule about sharing ... thanks for your intentional acts of kindness, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog!
    My group and i are starting a random act of kindness movement as well. We conduct one random act of kindness per day in hopes of motivating people to do the same!
    Check out our blog!
    http://kindworld247.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete